Thursday, July 21, 2011

Story driven Kidmin

One of the things that I love most about children's ministry is the opportunity to tell the stories of the Bible in new and exciting ways that help the kids to understand more about who God is, His plan for humanity, and the stories that He has given to us. Each and every time that I have the chance to tell a Bible story I learn something new about God. It excites me to see kids make the connections and show interest in the Bible.

During the past couple of years, I have been focusing on finding more and more ways to tell the stories of God through acting, media, dialogue, etc. Interning under Jeremy Mavis has been a real help in this area in guiding me in my storying journey.

So as I said originally I really wanted to write my own curriculum. I love writing and creating and wanted to take this on. But then I found Tru. Tru must have read my mind. Their storying material is just awesome. (I know I can't get too excited until I actually use it a couple of weeks and see what needs to be adapted and all, but still it is cool...okay I am excited.) They include story telling materials such as large posters of the Bible characters, movie clips of the stories, tips for telling the story, and so much more.

One way that I hope to be able to help kids understand the stories is through Bible story telling stations. I want to create different ways that they can help recreate the story. This might include a storyboard (fancy name for big felt board) where they can literally put the character on the board and retell the story. I would also like to have a few art stations that will facilitate using art to retell the stories in another way. I have a couple more ideas, but time will tell!

So, I am excited for Bible storying. I can't wait to see the kids connect the dots between the stories and understand more about who God is. I pray in faith that God will work through His story to form in the kids at Christ-UMC a deep love for Him!


No comments:

Post a Comment