Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas

So, it's Christmas Eve...the tree is lit, my tummy is full, presents are wrapped and under the tree, yet it still doesn't feel like Christmas. Maybe it's because thanksgiving was so late this year, maybe it's because I didn't get home from school until last week...I don't really know. I want the "Christmas spirit" I want the joy and excitement...

Is it because I am growing up?
As a kid Christmas was my favorite time of year. I wouldn't sleep well for days. I would wake up about ten times and lay awake in anticipation of the coming morning. I know that a lot of it was due to the presents...but I think there was something else too. There was something about the whole family sitting around the living room together laughing, relaxing, seeing each other excited...there was a peace there. A peace that came only on Christmas.

That is how Christmas should be...forget the presents and the decorations...sure you can have them, but put it on the back burner for now...Christmas is about Christ. It is about the celebration of the God coming to live here on earth, coming as a baby boy. I can just imagine this little baby boy in the arms of Mary and in the embrace of Joseph. This little family sitting around together, laughing, relaxing, seeing each other excited, and at peace. God Himself was in the arms of Mary and safe and sound from the turmoil of the world...the grace and peace that followed was probably unimaginable. Angels surrounded them and that is what Christmas was...and should still be. Christmas is enjoying our families and remembering the family that begun so long ago.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment