Thursday, April 18, 2013

Lessons From My Dog

Every morning I wake up to the buzz and alarm of my cell phone clear across the room. I get up to turn off my first alarm, grab my phone and plop back on my bed until alarms 2 and 3 force me to face the reality the I must get up.

I am not a morning person.

I never feel well in the mornings. It's as if all the pollen in my apartment has made its way over to my bed and nested in my pillow. If life followed my wishes, we would not start the day until at least 9:00am...for some reason the world does not agree.

Being the anti-morning person that I am, I usually am not all that enthused about jump starting my day.

Ollie and I are a lot alike. It's funny really, but one way we are very different is in our welcoming of a new day.


Every morning as I attempt to drag out the wake up time to just-a-few-more-minutes, I lay as still as possible in my attempts to trick Ollie into thinking that it's not really time to get up...but the alarm dooms me once again and Ollie knows it, and nudges his nose under my hand as I attempt to peal my face off my pillow.

When I finally bring myself to get out of bed, I sit up to a smiling fur ball. Every morning without a hitch, he comes to me with his tail wagging and ready for his morning belly rub. He is so excited that he can hardly stand it. He runs up on my bed and back down again only to return for a snuggle.

Every morning I am remind that each and every day is a gift worth celebrating. Each and every day I have the opportunity to praise God and welcome in the morning with joy and anticipation of what's to come.

Thank you Ollie.

No comments:

Post a Comment