Sunday, October 24, 2010

White picket fences vs. boarder-less goals

Driving back from fall break I was struck by a realization of our generation. It seems that there has been a shift. A shift from the "American dream" to adventure, to freedom, to change, and to social justice. Though this shift excites me, it worries me. I have seen our generation rise to the occasion on issues such as sex trafficking, child soldiers, unclean water...poverty. It is so inspiring to see hundreds of thousands of young people become excited about the possibility of change.

In college, I see that we have so many options...so many possibilities...it really is endless. In this abundance of opportunity, there is a lack of clarity. The generation before us dreamed to acquire a tangible goal...a family, a nice house, a steady job...comfort. With this tangibility came steadiness...commitment...a goal oriented society...it can all be placed nice a neat on a list. But, now the shift has brought forth an abstract goal that cannot be listed or labeled and because of this confusion has ensued.

I look around and I see young people (like myself) looking towards the goal of changing the world. Through this search for something more we fail to engage in the here and now, in relationships, in goals, and ideas...though I believe we long for extravagance, because there is a lack of direction...tangibility and engagement...our dreams become nothing more than ...dreams.

So, though the future is full of potential...potential is not good enough. We, well...I... need to find ground. Somewhere to place my feet, so that I can start running...running towards something greater...something larger than life...something or, in my case someone (that being Christ) who really can change the world. Corny...maybe...spectacular...definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment